Saturday, September 11, 2010

Farmers Market! Phatfiber Samples for September

Septembers theme for the phatfiber sampler box is "The Farmers Market!" Lots of possibilites...just think of all of the summer produce, farm fresh eggs, flowers and baked goods...MMM...

I just love the Fall, after the heat of the summer I like to think about sweatshirts and sweaters, pumpkins and gourds and all of the glorious Fall colors. Shades of orange and yellow, greens and deep reds and burgundies! I wanted my samples to relflect some of these favorite Fall images.

I have some lovely warm and soft washed Cotswold fleeces that have this super wonderful curl. They are super clean and would be great dyed and spun up into yarn for a favorite sweater project! I tucked them in mini wicker pumpkins. The lids weren't attached to the base so I took a yarn needle and some green rafia and threaded it together and then attached the tags.

My two little girls love gourds, so I took several different types of fiber that I had dyed in different "gourdy" colors and then hand picked and blended them in a big basket. I took natural brown corriedale/bl cross wool from my ewe Godiva, dyed corriedale/bl from another ewe Gwennie in shades or orange, buttercup and sage, local dyed yellow Cotswold wool, black mohair that I overdyed green, its a neat almost jewel tone green! I also added my new favorite glitz, bronze angelina to give it a neat reflective sparkle.

My third and fourth samples were my favorite flowers that to me truly herald the Fall season Mums. Here in the east at every roadside stand, farmers market, grocery store and Home Depot you will find them in every shade. I made up two colorways with some hand dyed corriedale cross and mohair from the sheep and goats. I adore purple so purple was a given with some yellow mohair tucked in for the centers of the flowers. I also did a burgundy with lavender mohair centers. I had the idea to tuck them into green cups with a green napkin as the leaves of the Mums...maybe corny but cute...LOL.




Its a lot of hard work putting together 50 plus samples every month. I love the idea that it pushes me to step outside the box and out of my comfort zone. I only wish that I could get them together sooner as I hate rushing in the end to finish and mail them before the boxes go on sale...
Getting ready to box them up to mail off to Jessie the Phatfiber lady!

No comments:

Post a Comment